- Aryna Sabalenka qualifies for the US Open semi-finals. She will soon take the top spot in the world rankings.
- The 25-year-old Belarusian does not give Qinwen Zheng any chance in the quarterfinals, as in 2021 and 2022, he is in the semifinals. There she meets local champion Madison Keys, who beat Wimbledon winner Marketa Vondrousova.
- Coco Gauff – Karolina Muchova are the other pair in the semi-finals.
The quarter-finals start on Wednesday
- Aryna Sabalenka (BLR/WTA 2) b. Qinwen Cheng (CHN/WTA 23) 6:1, 6:4
For the fifth time in a row, Aryna Sabalenka reaches the semi-finals of a Grand Slam tournament. After the US Open, Belarusian Iga Swiatek will replace the world No. 1. After a show of strength, the 25-year-old has her sights set on her second Grand Slam title after Melbourne at the start of the year. Sabalenka left no doubt about the winner in her 6:1, 6:4 quarter-final win over China’s Qingqinwen.
On the other hand, Cheng failed to become the third Chinese woman to reach the semi-finals in New York after Li Na (2013) and Peng Shuai (2014). The 20-year-old did not find any way to counter the strong performance of her opponent in the first set, and her weak serve was in favor of Sabalenka. Cheng improved in the second round, but it wasn’t enough.
- Madison Keys (USA/WTA 17) with Marketa Vondrousova (Czech/WTA 9) 6:1, 6:4
With the same result as Sabalenka, Madison Keys also qualified for the semi-finals. The American, who reached the final in 2017, played her head-to-head match against Wimbledon winner Marketa Vondrousova aggressively from the start. The 28-year-old impressed with her aggressive line of play, coupled with well-timed net attacks. Vondrousova was only able to win her first match when the score was 5-0.
The second set was more equal, as Keys succeeded in breaking the decisive serve to make the score 5:4. About an hour and a half later, the world number 17 converted her third match point.
The match had to be stopped for several minutes during the first match because a spectator became unwell. As has happened over the past few days, the humid temperatures have caused problems for players and fans alike.
“Creator. Troublemaker. Reader. Tv nerd. Proud beer advocate. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Introvert. Certified zombie practitioner. Thinker.”