- The U20 national team unfortunately lost their opening match at the World Cup in Gothenburg to Slovakia 3-0.
- The Swiss shot 36 times at the opponent's goal, but was unable to put the ball past the outstanding Slovak goalkeeper.
- Gold favorites USA are already waiting for the U20 National Team on Thursday at 5:00 p.m.
Marcel Genie's side would have liked to start the Under-20 World Cup with a feeling of success, but there was one person in particular who had something going against them: Adam Gagan. The Slovakian goalkeeper saved all 36 shots that came his way, thus earning the “Man of the Match” title.
Slovakia, which previously defeated its neighbor the Czech Republic 6-2 on Tuesday, scored the decisive goal in the ninth minute. Samuel Honzik took advantage of the fact that Swiss goalkeeper Alessio Biglieri briefly lost his balance. In the slot, Honzek, a first-round pick in this year's NHL draft, stayed the course and scored a goal to make it 1-0.
Efficiency is completely missing
As a result, Switzerland only played for long periods. However, there was no reward for the great effort. In the last minutes, Slovakia made everything clear with two goals into an empty net.
The U-20 national team does not have much time to recover. Early Thursday evening, Switzerland will compete with the United States. The North American national team won its opening match against Norway 4-1.
Switzerland's other matches in the group stage
- Thursday, December 28 – 5:00 PM vs. USA
- Saturday, December 30 – 5:00 PM vs. Norway (promoted team)
- Sunday, December 31 – 5:00 pm against the Czech Republic
SRF Radio 1, Lunch Bulletin, 26 December 2023, 12:40pm; mlo
Scroll to the right
“Creator. Troublemaker. Reader. Tv nerd. Proud beer advocate. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Introvert. Certified zombie practitioner. Thinker.”