Mercedes is recalling about 52,700 cars of various series worldwide due to the risk of fire. The original GLE and GLS recall has now been extended to some models in the CLS and E-Class series.
Marcel Sommer and Olly Baumann
Mercedes is recalling 52,363 vehicles from all over the world and 2,459 vehicles in Germany (USA: 21,306 vehicles). Mercedes-Benz AG has determined that on certain vehicles of the GLE and GLS series (BR 167), the 48V ground point coupling under the front passenger seat may have very little torque. In this case, the cable handle of the ground wire will not be fixed correctly. This may increase the electrical contact resistance at this point of contact. As a result, due to the high electrical currents that can flow through this connection, the temperature in this area can rise – which in turn can lead to a fire in the worst case.
As a precaution, the Mercedes-Benz service organization will check the ground point solenoid on the affected vehicles and correct it if necessary. A scheduled visit to the workshop for testing and, if necessary, reworking the ground point screw connection will take up to 1.5 hours. Some GLE/GLS (BR 167) vehicles from the October 2018 to November 2021 production period are likely to be affected worldwide.
A few days after the recall of the GLS and GLE, Mercedes also extended the recall to some models of the CLS and E-Class series made in 2021. Here the solenoid connection of the cable lug at the 48-volt ground point of the refrigeration compressor is checked. 343 vehicles were affected worldwide, 96 of them in Germany.
The following Mercedes model series are affected by the recall, specifically in the USA:
- GLE450 production period November 1, 2018 to November 12, 2021 (2,733 vehicles)
- AMG GLE53 production period November 1, 2018 to November 12, 2021 (3,191 vehicles)
- GLE580 from production period November 1, 2018 to November 12, 2021 (274 vehicles)
- AMG GLE63 production period 1 November 2018 to 12 November 2021 (624 vehicles)
- GLS450 production period November 1, 2018 to November 12, 2021 (12,046 vehicles)
- GLS580 from production period November 1, 2018 to November 12, 2021 (1,471 vehicles)
- Maybach GLS600 production period November 1, 2018 to November 12, 2021 (229 vehicles)
- AMG GLS63 production period November 1, 2018 to November 12, 2021 (738 vehicles)
The recall can be found at NHTSA under case number 22V-231, at KBA under reference number 011771 and at the same manufacturer under code 5491807.
Mercedes is to make improvements to about 52,700 cars in its GLS, GLE, CLS and E-Class model series around the world. On some vehicles from model years 2018 to 2021, incorrect tension of the cable lug at the 48V ground point may create a fire hazard.
“Creator. Troublemaker. Reader. Tv nerd. Proud beer advocate. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Introvert. Certified zombie practitioner. Thinker.”
Hat-trick against Burnley – cheers coach Guardiola
Boxing: Big Chance! Artem Harutyunyan in Las Vegas for the first time | sports
Animal cruelty case in Heffenhofen. “He’s a horse who is still depressed today.”