A team of experts from the World Health Organization (WHO) has ruled that the onset of the epidemic was caused by a laboratory leak, while the virus was said to have spread from bats to humans through another animal.
Both results are reflected in an initial report released Monday by a WHO task force that visited China to investigate the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic virus, which was carried out in early February.
According to the report, the hypothesis that the virus was accidentally leaked from a laboratory is considered “very unlikely,” Telesur commented, refuting former US President Donald Trump’s formal racist claims about the virus being created by the People’s Republic of China. .
After an extensive visit to the Level 4 laboratory of the Institute of Virology in Wuhan, China, some members of the team had already made this point about the possibility of a leak where the outbreak was known.
Scientists, on the other hand, believe that they have not studied the deliberate hypothesis that allows a virus to escape from this type of installation.
A team of experts, led by Danish Peter Ben Embraek, supports the theory that the virus first spread from animal to animal, probably a bat (a breed discovered by a close relative of SARS-Cove-2).
According to scholars, “the evolutionary distance between these bad viruses and SARS-Cove-2 has been estimated for decades, indicating that there is a missing link”, which has not yet been identified.
In this regard, experts said that in China and other regions, it would be appropriate to carry out further research to publish accurate estimates of the possibility that certain animals, such as pangolins, may be intermediate recipients.
The report also points out that visits to various markets in Wuhan, where meat and seafood are sold, did not provide the components that would allow the presence of infected animals to be confirmed.
On the other hand, experts believe that it is not possible to spread the virus through cold chain food products.
Ben Embarek told the media that the entire technical process attached to the completion of the report will be completed in the next few days, by which time it will be made public.
For his part, WHO Emergency Director Michael Ryan on Monday confirmed that the Govt-19 epidemic will not be tackled in 2021.
Ryan’s announcements come after a surge in cases in the recorded world over the past week, “It doesn’t seem realistic to think we can end this virus by the end of this year,” he added.
“If we are smart, I hope we can end the hospitals, deaths and tragedies associated with Govt-19,” the WHO representative said.
The Director-General of the WHO, Tetros Capreus, expressed his regret over the epidemics, saying “the number of cases this week has increased (…) compared to the last six declining (…) which is disappointing, but not surprising.”
According to Johns Hopkins University, the United States (USA) is home to 28,652,953 cases of COVID-19 infections, followed by Brazil and India.