The square located in the upper town already has a number of names. From 1902 the area was called Widmannplatz. Since October 15, 1961 it has been called Sudetendeutscher Platz.
On the occasion of the first meeting of the German expelled from Sudeten in Klosterneuburg and at the suggestion of the Cosmetology Society, the household linden tree and memorial stone were renamed and consecrated. The Municipal Council unanimously approved the decision to do so.
In front of 2,000 guests, the then mayor mentioned the centuries-old solidarity between German ethnic groups in the Danube Kingdom and emphasized the services that Sudeten Germans had already rendered to Austrian life at the time. Several canons, such as Friedrich Cardinal Bevel, Roman Schulze or Pius Barch, found a new home in Klosterneuburg.
The foundation of the city partnership
As early as 1962, a home meeting of beautiful horses was held in Austria with the local groups Landskron, Mahersch Trobow, Moglitz/Hohenstadt and Zwetau at Sudetendeutscher Platz.
In addition to the mayor of Klosterneuburg, the mayor of Göppingen, D. The king protects honor. Göppingen is the godfather city of Schönhengstgau in Germany. Thus, the Sudeten Germans expelled from their homeland were the link and basis for the twinning of the town of Klosterneuburg and Göttingen, founded in 1971.
By a municipal decision of September 4, 1964, Babenbergerstadt took care of the “German-Sudanese expelled from the Regional Union Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland from the German Sudetenland Country Team in Austria”. Since then, annual meetings have been held in Klosterneuburg. Sponsorship was extended to the whole of Austria in 2003.
As an alternative to Widmannplatz, the cul-de-sac of the Hafnergraben was named after Rentmeister and Captain Bartholomäus Widmann in 1962.
“Tv expert. Hardcore creator. Extreme music fan. Lifelong twitter geek. Certified travel enthusiast. Baconaholic. Pop culture nerd. Reader. Freelance student.”