In League of Legends, “MSI 2023”, the big tournament for fans of teams from Europe and North America, has already passed. It was the worst blow that many Western LoL fans can remember. The gap between South Korea and China is wider than ever.
This is the situation:
- At MSI 2023, the best LoL teams in the world compete against each other: each of the 4 main regions sends 2 teams to the race.
- All the teams from Europe and North America were already eliminated before 3 rounds were completed. It’s not even close.
- What’s special: This time the tournament was one-sided, with teams from North America not even competing against teams from Europe. These are the games that Western fans are especially looking forward to because of the juicy rivalry between LEC and LCS fans.
G2 is 2-6 against Asia and even better
Who was the last evicted? The European team G2 was “brave”, they could win at least 1 match and only lost 1-3 in the loss against the Chinese from BLG. Before that, they had already lost 1-3 to favorite Gen G with Choi.
With this, they have won at least 2 games and lost 6 against G2 Asian teams.
In the USA, the “Golden Guardians” managed to win a game against BLG with a score of 1-2.
The other two teams from America and Europe, Mad Lions and Cloud9, both went winless against teams from China and South Korea.
Why are there no fights between EU and NA? That’s unfortunate. In the Losers’ Bracket, the two regions did not cross over, but each played against a team from their region. G2 took out the MAD Lions and Cloud9 sent the Golden Guardians to the airport.
However, in the subsequent round, it would be a tie for both the winners against the Asian side.
4 teams from Asia occupy the top 4 positions among themselves
What’s next? All 4 teams from China and South Korea are still in the running and will now decide the winner in 4 “Best of 5” series.
It would end up being a South Korean final between T1 (Faker) and Gen G. (Chovy). But JDG and BLG can still do it.
Is it always like this? No, 5 years ago it looked like Western teams could catch China and South Korea:
- South Korea was really in crisis: they were said to have played boringly and methodically. There was only plan A and not being able to react if something went wrong.
- China had little consistency, and teams that were champions one year didn’t matter the next
In 2019, G2, a super team of Europe’s best players, even made it to the finals. But the team collapsed in the years following the final defeat. The stars scattered to the four winds, stumbling upon a crude video showing him with ambitious CEO Andrew Tate.
On the other hand, in South Korea and China, more and more very strong young players came in, who formed great teams and challenged each other. Asian players also developed much stronger and faster. Even if G2 managed to defeat young stars like Shoemaker and Canyon in 2019, they already have no chance in 2020.
In recent tournaments, the “skill gap” between West and East has widened. In this tournament, MSI 2023, teams from the West do not play any role.
Fans from Europe and North America are left disappointed and bitter
What fans are saying: They already see it with gallows humor (via Reddit) It is said: You can add a round of losers to a round of losers and call it the “Western Round”.
One user says: For years it’s been about Asians versus who cares less. Europe or America? This method cannot say:
- From Europe’s point of view one can say: we won 2 games against Asia and you only 1.
- From a North American point of view one could say: we have never lost a game by at least 20 minutes.
One user says: It’s so sad that “G2” renamed itself “T1-Killers” and now the “fear enemies” don’t even have a chance to play against the team they should be.
Another reddit user says:
It was the worst match in the West that I can remember. There was nothing to argue and discuss, both of us were much worse this time than in the East. Feels like 10 years ago.
He was still in good spirits before the match:
LoL: Europe’s best player dominates the casual guys’ solo ladder – but he challenged the wrong guy
“Friend of animals everywhere. Web guru. Organizer. Food geek. Amateur tv fanatic. Coffee trailblazer. Alcohol junkie.”
Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson has resigned as an MP
Prince Harry is back in America – no meeting with Charles and William
UK tightens rules for crypto investments