The two island states agreed in April to a provision for non-isolated travel for citizens between countries. The so-called “trans-Tasman bubble” was re-suspended in July following a growing number of cases in Australia due to the spread of the delta variant.
New Zealand also struggled with an explosion in the Auckland metropolis recently, but it was largely brought back under control. “Protecting New Zealand from further spread of delta diversity is an absolute priority for us,” Minister Chris Hipkins said on Friday. “The re-introduction of non-isolated travel with Australia at this time may affect our progress.”
In November, the Wellington government plans to reconsider the situation. In the meantime, the vaccine campaign is expected to improve, it said. Both countries have long followed the zero Govt strategy and closed their external borders for international travel. Vaccines progressed slowly over a long period of time.
New Zealand, with a population of five million, is under virus control and has so far recorded only about 4,000 infections. Twenty-seven people have died due to Govt-19 in the Pacific state. In Australia, with its 25 million people, authorities have confirmed about 80,000 cases and more than 1,100 deaths since the outbreak began.
“Friend of animals everywhere. Web guru. Organizer. Food geek. Amateur tv fanatic. Coffee trailblazer. Alcohol junkie.”