- Real Madrid won the crazy semi-final second leg match at home against Manchester City 3-1 (after) and qualified for the Champions League final.
- Rodrygo saved the Madridists shortly before the end with two goals within 89 seconds of extra time.
- There, Karim Benzema scored a penalty to make it 3-1.
- As in 2018, Real Madrid will meet Liverpool in the final on May 28.
Real Madrid is in the Champions League final for the 17th time. The Madridista won the semi-final second leg against Manchester City at the Santiago Bernabeu 3-1 after extra time, eliminating their 3-4 first leg mortgage.
The guest from Manchester looked like a certain finalist until shortly before the end of the match. Pep Guardiola’s side took a 1-0 lead thanks to a 73rd minute goal from Riyad Mahrez and were just minutes away from their second final appearance. After Jack Grealish twice got the final decision in favor of City afloat, substitute Rodrygo hit out of nowhere:
- 90 minutes: Karim Benzema passes a long ball to the center. Rodrygo hits the ball in front of City goalkeeper Ederson and tied the score 1-1.
- 91 minutes: Just a minute later, Ederson should reach for his hand behind him again. Once again it is Rodrygo who scores. With a strong header, it sets 2:1 and offsets the mortgage from the first stop.
In the extra time that was due, Benzema was once again in charge of the decision. The Frenchman was fouled by Robin Dias in the third minute of extra time in the penalty area and safely converted the next penalty. After receiving all three goals, City could no longer respond in just 5 minutes and had to prematurely bury his dream of ‘Hunkelpot’ again.
On the other hand, Real Madrid avoided going out in the last quarter of the hour for the third time in the three knockout rounds this year. Paris Saint-Germain played in the round of 16 and Chelsea in the quarter-finals. Santiago Bernabeu is the venue for magical European Cup nights this year.
No scene at first
The match was still far from a magical night in the first half. There were also a lot of goal scenes in the second leg between the two European teams, but there were no goals at the moment.
Real Madrid suffered from the high pressure of Manchester City and had to concede the best opportunities for the visitors. The citizens’ best chance was missed by Bernardo Silva in the 20th minute, when he found his hero from close range in Real goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. Benzema drew attention to himself only before the break. The French goalkeeper managed to head the ball completely after only 4 minutes, but put the ball over the goal.
“Creator. Troublemaker. Reader. Tv nerd. Proud beer advocate. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Introvert. Certified zombie practitioner. Thinker.”