Turin (SID) – Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic has a low profile over his vaccine status and is set to open at the Australian Open. When asked if he would defend his title in Melbourne (since January 17), he abruptly replied on Saturday evening, “We’ll see. We’ll have to wait and see.” Organizers of this year’s first Grand Slam tournament have previously announced that only vaccinated tennis professionals will be allowed to work at the Australian Open.
The Grand Slam record champion has repeatedly stressed his desire to participate in Melbourne, but has always refrained from providing public information about his vaccine status. At the Australian Open, Djokovic holds the record with nine titles. With his 21st big win, he lags behind his rivals Roger Federer (Switzerland) and Rafael Nadal (Spain / both 20 titles) on the list.
Djokovic said he had nothing to do with the organizers around the tournament leader in Melbourne, Craig Tyle, following his defeat to Olympic champion Alexander Sverev (Hamburg) in the ATP final and his failure to reach the final. “I did not talk to them. I was waiting to see what the outcome would be. Now we have to see,” the 34-year-old said.
Zverev, on the other hand, showed a full understanding of the needs of the Australian state of Victoria. “We’ve going to another country. It’s not about tennis, it’s about the virus,” said German Number One: “At the end of the day, the country allows us to enter. So we have to follow the rules. However, Sverev believes Djokovic can play in Australia: “He’s number one in the world, he should be there.”
“Friend of animals everywhere. Web guru. Organizer. Food geek. Amateur tv fanatic. Coffee trailblazer. Alcohol junkie.”